Thursday, February 9, 2012

My House


Since I have potential buyers looking at my house as I sit in my office working, I figure I could tell the story of the house. 

Years ago, my ex and her husband had this house built when they moved to Florida.  It’s a large two story house.  3400 square feet.  It’s in a golf course community in Clermont.  Clermont is about 20 minutes from Disney and about 30 minutes west of Downtown Orlando.  I’m not a big fan of Clermont because there is so little to do, but this community is nice.  I’m not surprised that they chose to build here.  It’s a nice place to raise kids, but not so fun if you’re single.  The only reason I moved to Clermont in the first place was because my ex-wife moved here and I wanted to be closer to my kids.  I think I’ve been out here for 5 or 6 years now. 

Shortly after the house was built, my ex-fiancée and her husband parted.  She then put a lot of effort into the house…painting the walls, doing the floors, buying new furniture.  It’s a beautiful home.  Unfortunately, her ex-husband screwed up and the house went into foreclosure.  She was able to manage to stay in the house for a years though. 

When I moved in, we knew that the house would be sold at auction eventually so we started looking at houses to buy.  One day, after we came home from a concert in West Palm Beach, there was a card on the door that said, “Hi, I bought your house, please give me a call”.  We knew it was going to happen so we already had one of those large moving pods in the driveway and family coming over to help us move.   I still had a rental house so we were going to move there until we could find a new place. 

The guy came over and looked at the house.  We started breaking down furniture and moving.  My ex was very emotional because she put so much effort in the house.  The guy was leaving and I walked outside to speak with him.  He said he was just going to flip the house and he would sell it to me.  And that’s what happened…I bought the house.  We didn’t have to move after all.  I honestly felt like a hero…I wanted her and her kids to be happy. 

We split up last fall so now I live here alone.  Most of the furniture was hers.  I have an old couch and loveseat, a gel fireplace that I bought last year for the holidays, a TV, a coffee table, a bed, and a desk.  It gets so quiet here. 

I hope it sells soon.   Too many memories.  It’s hard to fly back into town on Thursdays and come home to an empty house.  Luckily, even though I've only had the house for almost two years, I’m not upside down.  Once it does sell I plan to move out of Clermont.  Probably to the Dr. Phillips area which is near Universal and International Drive.  It would only be about 30 minutes away. 

It’s sad really.  I had a great family and a beautiful home.  Starting over is not what I thought I would have to do. 

This post was hard to write. 

Peace

1 comment:

  1. That made my heart hurt. You went from 'hero'...to 'someone she used to know' in a a very short amount of time. Sad story. I'm so sorry Steve :-(

    ReplyDelete