Sunday, January 22, 2012

Reggae Music


As a drummer, I love music that is full of rhythm and percussion.  I like virtually all types of music except for country.  I tried…believe me I tried to like country.  I was station in Cheyenne Wyoming for over seven years and I even played drums in a country band.  Can’t stand it!  It’s the same drivel over and over with the twangy type of yodel thrown in.  Funny that the crossover acts are sounding more and more like rock (sorry Taylor Swift, you still suck), but it doesn’t come close to anything I like.  Of course, music is an individual taste and a lot of people love country music.  More power to you.

Now let’s talk about reggae.  I went to a local club at Universal CityWalk this weekend with one of my best friends in the world…a guy named Lans.  We became friends because we worked together and discovered that we have a lot in common…for one, we’re both Jamaican.   Yes, the irony in that statement is cloying.  There are great bands that play at Bob Marley’s (the club at Universal)…Chain Reaction was playing this weekend and they sounded amazing.  They played all kinds of reggae and they sounded great.  It’s an open air bar (no roof!) and the weather was perfect.  The crowd was swaying and loving the music.  Actually, it was kind of spiritual and I had a smile on my face all night. 

I’m working on the three main reggae beats as well.  The band that my friends Jim, Tom, Mark, and myself are putting together do ‘Three Little Birds’ by Marley so I need to get it right.  If you think about it, when you’re out at a club and dancing, what do you dance to??  The drums, the beat, that’s what.  And I’m here to provide that for you. 

Peace, loving reggae,rock on,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment