Monday, January 2, 2012

A Few Thoughts for the New Year


I have to admit, 2011 was one of the hardest years I have had and I am so glad that it’s over.  I plan to do things differently hoping that 2012 will be a much better year.  The job I took last March turned out to be a very poor decision.  I have been traveling to Chicago almost every week since then.  And to make matters worse, I could have done 99% of my duties from home.  It’s just that the culture there is to have all consultants onsite…a rather archaic and stone age culture to say the least.  I’m surprised that in this day and age with the technology we have, there are still some organizations that require workers who do what I do to sit in a cubicle.  The travel cost alone for just me is astronomical and the organization in Chicago has dozens of consultants working for them traveling in from all over the country.  If they would have agreed to me flying up every other week, I would have been much happier.  I didn't have any real friends up there either so it was an incredibly lonely experience as well. 

I start my new job next Monday or the Monday after that (working out the details).  I’ll still be traveling each week Monday through Thursday to begin with but the new organization is open to remote work after I establish a relationship.  The company I am leaving told me the same thing last March and they never came through.  I believe this new company though because the project manager lives in a different state and spends about two weeks each month onsite.  Also, it’s a 1.5 hour direct flight and in a warmer climate…both very good things. 

The job situation was bad enough…and then the unexpected end of my relationship was (and still is) devastating.  She is a very wonderful person. 

So now I start 2012 with a new job.  I hope it makes a big difference.  I am also trying to sell my house.  It’s a 3400 square foot house on a corner lot.  It’s just too expensive for one person.  I hope it sells soon.  I’ll probably just find a rental house in the area.  I’m not a big fan of Clermont but I want to stay close to my kids.  It’s hard letting go of the house though.  It’s a great house.

I’m tired of being a nomad.  I have moved a shocking number of times in my life.  I was so happy when I bought this house thinking that I would live here for several years.  Sometimes life throws you a curveball. 

I plan to continue bettering myself in the New Year.  I appreciate the support I have gotten from my friends and family.  It’s priceless.  Thank you all. 

Steve

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, the ending of 2011 was a jolt in your journey. But the rock you were hit with has caused a ripple affect that seems to be bringing about changes and new directions for 2012. 'Hang on to your dreams' and keep moving forward ...you just never know what's around that next bend.

    ReplyDelete